Suncoast wins FNPS Award!
Based upon the success of last year's conference, FNPS awarded Suncoast a Green Palmetto aware. This award is given for Chapter accomplishment. For Suncoast,
- The chapter pro-actively sought out and obtained a wonderful low-cost conference facility in 2012 that enabled them to earn a great deal of money for FNPS
- Big Suncoast worked very well with little tiny Hernando Chapter, and did so in a very challenging transition year where one staff member exited and a brand new one came on board
- For the first time that we know of, there were NO cancelled field trips due to insufficient sign-ups- this was due to Shirley Denton field trip chair's excellent planning and design of the right number and type of field trips - a model!
- $24,000.00 was raised in total for the entire conference.
- It is also of note that they smoothly navigated the transition between FNPS executive directors
Troy Springer accepted the award on behalf of SNPS and has the plaque.
Hillsborough Commissioners Vote for Wildflowers
Betty Wargo, a beloved and generous member of SNPS passed away Sunday, June 23, 2013 at age 81. Betty was active for years in the environmental community and SNPS in particular. Her photos of wildlife and Florida native plants appear in books, magazines, newsletters and USF Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants. She worked tirelessly supporting environmental causes and was recognized locally and nationally for her contributions. She was a devoted mother and grandmother and a wonderful cook.
In lieu of flowers donations can be made to Archbold Biological Station, the Florida Native Plant Society or Nature's Classroom.
The Suncoast Native Plant Society meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Hillsborough County Extension Office, 5339 County Road 579, Seffner.
Take I-4 to Exit 10 (just east of I-75); go south for two blocks to the corner of Old Hillsborough Road and County Road 579.